Saturday, January 23, 2010
While we regularly post lengthy discussions on Obesity Panacea, there are many research updates, news stories, videos, etc. in the field of obesity, physical activity and nutrition that we come across on a daily basis that never grace the pages of the blog. Most of these mini-stories we share with our followers on Twitter, and we encourage those of you with active Twitter accounts to communicate with us there to get real-time updates of all the stuff we are discussing (Follow Peter and/or Follow Travis). For those of you who shy away from Twitter, enjoy below the best mini-stories that we came across during the prior week along with links to the original source so that you can follow the full story.
- Ottawa public school bans balls from the playground due to injury concerns (CBC)
- The Charlotte Observer interviews Peter about his experience at ScienceOnline2010 (Charlotte Observer)
- Photo of the Week: Bike Centered Design in Denmark (Core77)
- Are childhood obesity screening guidelines misguided? (Dr Sharma's Obesity Notes)
- Proper physical education - a simple way to prevent soccer-related knee injuries in teenaged girls? (Archives of Internal Medicine)
- Is the metabolic syndrome truly a syndrome? (Diabetologia)
- Are other countries catching up to US obesity epidemic? (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)
- Michelle Obama takes on childhood obesity (ABC News)
- Exercise, getting together with friends, exposure to light all help winter blues (Canadian Press)
- My weekly selections for the best Health and Clinical Research discussed on Researchblogging.org (Researchblogging.org)
Don't forget to nominate your favourite science-related website for the first ever worldwide Research Blogging Awards! Top prize is $1000, with smaller prizes for specific topics including Health and Clinical Research. You don't need to be a member of the ResearchBlogging community to be nominated, you just need to discuss peer-reviewed research (and you can even nominate your own blog!). Nominations close February 11, so be sure to check it out!
Have a great weekend!
Enjoyed this story? Share it with your friends by clicking the buttons below!
To get future posts delivered directly to your email inbox or to your RSS reader, be sure to subscribe to Obesity Panacea.