1. Does obesity cause global warming? Researchers predict the increase in green house gas emissions emanating from a world getting increasingly more plump.
2.Berlin Brothel Embraces Active Transportation. New promotion by a brothel in Berlin (where prostitution is legal), gives a €5 (~$7.50 USD) discount to patrons who commute by bike or public transit.
3. 500 lb Inmate Hides Gun in Folds of Fat. The 500 lb man was apparently searched 3 times before arriving at his prison cell, but none of these searches found the 9mm pistol hidden deep within his rolls of adipose tissue.
4. Obesity as defense for DUI charge? A defense lawyer claims that the tests used to assess the defendant's sobriety were inappropriate given that he is obese.
5. Hydroxycut Recall. Best-selling weight-loss gimmick is pulled off shelves due to FDA's exposure of health hazards (i.e. death) associated with use of product.
6. Obesity as a defense for a murder charge? According to this defense lawyer (not the same guy from #4 above), his client was too obese to commit the murder of his son-in-law.
7. American Heart Association says "Sugar Is Bad". Aside from the propaganda of Big Food, was there ever any doubt?
8. Santa Claus Advocates an Unhealthy Lifestyle? Jolly old St. Nick comes under attack for his gluttonous and irresponsible lifestyle.
9. Calorie Counts on Restaurant Menus. The debate over this issue was fierce and continues to make headlines into 2010.
10. TIME magazine erroneously concludes that exercise won't make you thin. The author of the story selectively reports on singular studies, often incorrectly, misquotes experts, often showcasing his naive understanding of physiology, all in order to arrive at his apparently preconceived (and largely absurd) notion that not only will exercise not help you lose weight – it may actually make you fatter.
Happy New Year!
Enjoyed this story? Share it with your friends by clicking the buttons below!
To get future posts delivered directly to your email inbox or to your RSS reader, be sure to subscribe to Obesity Panacea.